Want to end your year with a tropical bang? The Caribbean is the holiday destination to choose from. Scroll through and find out the best Caribbean island to visit in December.
From this month until the early days of April, many tourists flock to this part of the world. During this period, the weather is the most comfortable: It’s warm, dry, and has low humidity. But because it’s the peak season, it’s best to plan your Caribbean vacation well in advance.
We’ll help you craft your itinerary as each of our destination recommendations comes with a list of the best things to do on that island.
First on our list of the best islands to visit in December 2023 is the Bahamas. Its daily high temperatures average around 80 degrees Fahrenheit — just the right temperature to have fun and frolic on the beach.
The island is a vibrant paradise of beaches. Whether day or night, the island is lively — a tropical haven if you’re the type of person who loves mingling with locals and fellow holidayers.
- Get up close with marine life at the Marine Habitat and Water Park at Atlantis
- Eat local cuisine at seaside restaurants on Harbour Island
- Spend days of relaxation at Blue Lagoon Island
- Shop handmade Bahamian crafts at the Nassau Straw Market
- Hike and snorkel at The Stocking Island
The December temperatures in Belize — situated south of the Yucatan Peninsula — don’t exceed 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Its mild temperatures are accompanied by a low chance for rainfall, so you won’t have to worry about the rain ruining your tropical holiday.
It has breathtaking beaches and diverse wildlife, lush forests, rich culture, and uncrowded Mayan ruins.
- Go snorkeling or scuba diving at the Belize Barrier Reef
- Dive into the world-renowned marine sinkhole called The Great Blue Hole
- Visit the heart of the ancient Mayan civilization
- Catch the island’s holiday-lighted boat parade
- Watch the Boxing Day Horse Race in Burrell Boom
Most Caribbean vacationers choose to visit Grenada from mid-December to mid-April. It offers extremely stable weather conditions with a maximum daytime temperature of 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
The island has something for everyone. Whether you’re a history buff, an avid surfer, or a spice lover — you’ll have something to satisfy your craving.
- Do a rum distillery, agro-tourism, or spice and herb tour
- Swim or surf at Grand Anse Beach
- Trail around the Grand Etang Lake and meet Mona monkeys
- Take a step closer to nature at Annandale Falls
- Walk along The Carenage, a waterfront promenade in the island’s capital St. George
4. Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands)
The Cayman Islands are among the top Caribbean destinations December vacationers choose. And among the three islands that comprise the British Overseas Territory, Grand Cayman is the largest. The daily temperature there peaks at 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
Benefit from its dry and sunny weather and have fun on the aquamarine waters of the island. You can swim, dive, snorkel, or go on fishing. And if you’ve got many people waiting for your souvenirs, you’ll be glad to know that Grand Cayman is famous for duty-free shopping.
- Spend time with stingrays and starfishes at the Stingray City
- Explore the enigmatic Cayman Crystal Caves
- Taste local spirits at the Cayman Spirits Company Distillery
- Lounge and relax at Seven Mile Beach
- Challenge yourself with a honey beekeeping adventure
With the likelihood of rain decreasing significantly, Jamaica bursts into life in December. Its average temperature is around 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you don’t mind vacationing with a huge crowd, you’ll surely thrive on this Caribbean island that boasts many awesome beaches. However, food plays a huge part in any Jamaican year-end holiday. Make sure to taste the sorrel juice, fruit cake, and curried goat or ham in any of its vibrant restaurants.
- Party it out with locals and vacationers at the Reggae Marathon
- Book your stay at an all-inclusive resort like Sandals Montego Bay
- Marvel the bioluminescence offered by the marine life at Luminous Lagoon Glistening Waters
- Spend some quiet time at the Rockland Bird Sanctuary
- Enjoy the gentle waves of Doctor’s Cave Beach
6. Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico is packed with activities and festivities from December to January. If you opt to go there towards the end of the year, you’ll enjoy daily temperatures at around 83 degrees Fahrenheit.
The warm and dry weather is fittingly complemented by its friendly people. Pack your clothes, bring a reliable camera, and enjoy the culture and gorgeous beaches of this tropical island nestled between the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean.
- Book a guided hiking tour at the El Yunque Rainforest
- Do horseback riding through the island’s secluded beaches
- Snorkel with turtles in the waters of the Puerto Rican capital of San Juan
- Book an Old San Juan sunset cruise
- Go on an ATV adventure at Campo Rico Ranch
7. Saint Kitts and Nevis
The dual-island nation is located between the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. Though the weather is pleasant year-round, you’ll have daily high temperatures of 83 degrees Fahrenheit during December.
An epitome of the world-famous Caribbean beauty, Saint Kitts and Nevis is gifted with sandy beaches, marvelous mountains, and tropical birds rarely seen in any other parts of the globe. One of the biggest events is the annual Carnival, which lasts from late November to early January.
- Dip in the warm and clear waters of Oualie Beach
- Have a sweet ride aboard the Sugar Train (built in the early 1900s, this was originally used to transport sugar cane)
- See spectacular carnival costumes at Sugar Mas, the country’s National Carnival
- Climb to the top slopes of the Brimstone Hill Fortress, dubbed the “Gibraltar of the West Indies”
- Zipline over a lush jungle canopy via Sky Safaris
Why plan your Caribbean holiday in December? From the Bahamas and Belize to Grand Cayman and Puerto Rico, you have more islands to choose from because the hurricane season is finally over. Be sure to make your bookings early to avoid competing with other vacationers who want to take advantage of the region’s comfortable year-end weather.
Your choice of the best Caribbean island to visit in December ultimately comes down to your preference. But we’re pretty sure that no matter your pick, you’ll have a great time with your loved ones.