Puerto Rico proudly considers itself “the heart and soul of the Caribbean.” It’s a distinct paradise where the Old World gorgeously blends with the new. Read on and learn about our 10 best Puerto Rico places to stay.
Why Visit Puerto Rico
Though it’s only about 3,400 square miles, the US territory offers holidayers many wonderful reasons to fall in love with it.
- Beautiful Boricuas: Boricuas — the people of Puerto Rico — are kind and friendly, or buena gente in their own words. Their vibrant culture is a mashup of Spanish and African traditions infused with the heritage of indigenous Caribbean people, the Taíno. The richness of their history is reflected in the many tourist spots across the country.
- Stunning Wonders of Nature: Many vacationers ask where to stay in Puerto Rico mainly because they want an authentic Caribbean experience. The country is blessed with exquisite beaches and lush forests, welcoming travelers seeking different adventures.
- Flavorful Cuisine: From mofongo, tostones and maduros to pasteles, pernil, and piña coladas, Puerto Rico serves delectable dishes and drinks that will further immerse you in their unique culture. The brilliant weather makes indulging in Puerto Rican cuisine even more enjoyable.
Best Places To Stay In Puerto Rico
Visiting the island country? Here are the best places to stay in Puerto Rico.
#1 Old San Juan
As the oldest settlement in the country, Old San Juan is thick with history. It’s in the northernmost part of the capital San Juan, and if you want to go sightseeing — you’ve got many places to visit here. There are old city walls, museums, castles, churches, and quaint cafes where you can unwind.
- Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel. This is one of the best Puerto Rico hotels that let you experience the heart of Old San Juan. Located on the waterfront, it has great views of charming Spanish Colonial architecture and cruise ships.
- Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino. This Sheraton property is a Convention Center District-situated modern urban resort offering convenient shuttle services to Old San Juan.
- Aloft San Juan. This boutique hotel is strategically located near Old San Juan. This place has vibrant social spaces if you want to mingle with fellow travelers.
Condado is one of the districts that make up New San Juan. It’s also the most luxurious district in Puerto Rico. If you want to go extravagant in your upcoming Puerto Rican escapade, visit this tree-fringed central beachfront area — shop, go to casinos, or enjoy sunbathing, sailing, or snorkeling.
- La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort. Staying at this hotel means you’re only a few steps away from Condado Beach. Apart from rooms with great beach views, it has 13 venues (both indoor and outdoor) where you can hold your business convention or wedding.
- AC Hotel San Juan Condado. The hotel is close to the San Juan cruise port and provides packages for tours, events, and beach visits.
- Courtyard San Juan Miramar. The property sits at the center of the bustling San Juan-Miramar District, across the beautiful Condado Bay. It will only take a few minutes’ drive before you can also explore Old San Juan.
Ponce is named the Pearl of the South. It’s the second-largest Puerta Rican city and has the liveliest nightlife. If you want to while away on the beach, engage in water sports, do some hiking, or simply stroll along the streets, it’s the place to be. Like other areas in the country, it has its own historical sites, such as the Museo de Arte de Ponce and the Tibes Indigenous Ceremonial Center.
- Hotel Melia Ponce. Puerto Rico’s oldest continuously operating hotel is a landmark nestled in the heart of Ponce. It has around 130 years of history and is near several tourist attractions.
- Aloft Ponce. Boasting a modern architectural style, Aloft Ponce aptly provides high-touch amenities. One highlight is their rooftop lounge, where you can see the city from a stunning perspective while listening to great music.
- Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino. Part of the InterContinental Hotels Group, this hotel gives you front-row views of magnificent mountains and Caribbean waters. It’s also near to golf courses.
Puerto Rico is home to three of the planet’s officially recognized bioluminescent bays. If you want to see one, why not get mesmerized by the brightest of them all? Mosquito Bay is located on the country’s little sister island, Vieques. Apart from the bay, the Caribbean gem has beaches, a wildlife refuge, and important forts and archeological sites.
- Blue Horizon Boutique Resort. This is the only beachfront hotel on the island. It’s an adult-only property that grants you access to a private beach.
- El Blok. This hotel is modern and minimalist yet cozy. It has a rooftop pool that gives you unobstructed views of the aquamarine waters and is located near local bars and restaurants.
- Malecon House. This boutique 13-room guesthouse is situated in the seaside village of Esperanza. Apart from beautiful gardens or ocean views, they offer guests free wine at 4 p.m.
Culebra is Vieques’ neighboring island. It’s a lesser-known haven if you want to experience a less-commercialized Caribbean (it’s the least populous municipality in Puerto Rico, after all). It’s most popular for Playa Flamenco (or Flamenco beach), but it also has hiking trails for getting closer to its lush greenery.
- Club Seabourne Hotel. This hotel offers a chic environment for wanderers who want to see a different side of the Caribbean. You can laze away your day in a hammock or add fun to your getaway with their water sports activities.
- Culebra Island Villas. If you want the convenience of having an arranged boat service to other Puerto Rican regions, this is the place to stay in Culebra.
- Villa Ensanda Honda. This aparthotel is known for its world-class hospitality. Its rooms are perfect for families and group travelers who want hassle-free access to essential amenities.
Want to ride the wives under the Caribbean sun? Rincon is the Puerto Rican municipality to visit. It boasts over 50 beaches where you can surf (or learn surfing). Even if you’re not a fan of this watersport, there are plenty of things to do here: You can snorkel, scuba dive, go bar- and restaurant-hopping, or learn history and art through its galleries.
- Rincon Beach Resort. Set along Añasco Bay, the resort offers airy rooms, accommodating staff, a pool, and a poolside bar and grill. You can enjoy many aquatic sports like scuba diving and surfing.
- Rincon of the Seas Gran Caribbean Hotel. An outdoor pool, a well-manicured garden, and a restaurant with live cooking on weekends. These are just some of the things you’ll experience in this hotel.
- Villa Cofresi. Want to stay in a place with a restaurant that specializes in seafood? Villa Cofresi should be on your list. Plus, they also offer daily breakfast for free.
#7 Isla Verde
Since it’s nearest the airport, Isla Verde is uber popular among couples and family vacationers. It offers luxurious oceanfront accommodations and convenient transportation to other tourist hubs, such as Old San Juan. Holidayers across different age groups can enjoy many water sports. After sundown, the adults can experience Puerto Rican nightlife with the area’s array of casinos and clubs.
- The Ritz-Carlton San Juan. This is one of those Puerto Rico resorts that exude unparalleled luxury. It’s a beachfront property that lets you immediately enjoy the warm and enchanting Atlantic Ocean waters.
- Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort. Switch on your vacation mode and enjoy an unforgettable resort-style experience when you book your stay here. They’ve got a casino and even offer complimentary Linus Bikes.
- Royal Sonesta San Juan. Formerly InterContinental San Juan, this hotel gives you awesome views overlooking the powdery sands of Isla Verde Beach. It also has an event space, a lagoon-style pool, and a swim-up bar.
#8 Rio Grande
A grand Puerto Rican getaway awaits when you visit the northeast-located Rio Grande. As the gateway to the El Yunque National Forest, you have convenient access to majestic waterfalls, hiking trails, and a wealth of mesmerizing flora. It’s one of the best Puerto Rico places to visit if you wish to soak up the sun by the beach and stay at sprawling resorts.
- The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort. Tucked in the El Yunque National Forest foothills, the property is set on a 483-acre land and along a 2-mile secluded beach.
- Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort. Ritzy and modern, this resort’s amenities include 2 golf courses, 3 outdoor pools, 13 tennis courts, and more.
- Hyatt Regency Grand Reserve Puerto Rico. This secluded property is a few steps from the gorgeous Coco Beach. If you want to swim in the pool, enjoy a lagoon-style experience complete with 4 whirlpools.
Mayaguez is the unofficial capital of the country’s west coast. The third-largest city in Puerto Rico takes many names: City of the Mango and City of Pure Waters, to name a few. Beyond its collection of 13 beaches, it takes pride in having Isla de Mona — one of the best scuba diving spots in the Caribbean.
- Holiday Inn Mayaguez & Tropical Casino. You only need a few minutes from this property before basking in amazing Caribbean beaches. It’s also conveniently situated near the tourist attractions in Porta Del Sol.
- Mayagüez Resort & Casino. This resort has an on-site casino, a bar and lounge, a spa and wellness center, and a restaurant where you can savor Puerto Rican cuisine.
- Howard Johnson Downtown Mayaguez. This one is located in the city’s center and across from the Mayaguez Cathedral. Its amenities include an indoor pool, a business center, and a snack shop.
A vacationer who’s into hip neighborhoods? Santurce should be part of your itinerary. It’s bustling with cultural heritage, and you can enjoy many art forms here — from art and music to film and fashion. It has its fair share of gorgeous beaches where you can spend lazy or fun-filled days.
- San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino. One of the top Puerto Rico places to stay, this resort and casino is found just off Condado Beach. Its location is nearby many tourist destinations, such as The Mall of San Juan and Bacardi Rum Distillery. It’s also close to the airport.
- Condado Vanderbilt Hotel. This beachfront hotel takes pride in its luxuriously decorated rooms. They have an on-site restaurant and a splendid outdoor pool.
- Hyatt Place San Juan. Located close to Old San Juan and Condado Lagoon, this has all the amenities you need for an enjoyable Caribbean getaway. They serve complimentary breakfast, too.